Kawaiahao Church, Honolulu 1978

Childs, Iraphne R. (1978) Kawaiahao Church, Honolulu 1978. [Image]

Image (JPEG) (slides)
Available under Licence CC BY-NC 3.0 AU.

Download (Image (JPEG), 1MB)

Abstract

Kawaiahao (lit. Water of Hao) Church in downtown Honolulu, was the first Christian church on Oahu. Originally it was a thatched-roof structure from 1829 on the site of a sacred spring reserved only for use by the Hawaiian nobility and under the supervision of high priestess Hao. The impresive stone church was constructed using 14,000 large coral blocks, each weighing 1000 punds or more, quarried by hand underwater from the ocean reef off Honolulu and transported to the site. The church was dedicated in 1842 and King Kamehameha III, who had contributed generously to the building fund, attended the service. Today regarded as the Mother Church of Christianity in Hawaii, part of church services are conducted in the Hawaiian language.

Additional Information

Item Type: Image
Collection: Asia-Pacific Images: 1970s-1990s
Keywords: church architecture; historic buildings
Date Deposited: 16 Oct 2013 13:02
Last Modified: 30 Aug 2014 19:38
Copyright Owner: Copyright Iraphne R. Childs.
Location:
CountryState or RegionCity or TownPlace
United StatesOahuHonoluluKawaiahao Church
URI: http://digitalcollections.qut.edu.au/id/eprint/190
Share:
Admin: item control page [repository staff only]